I am have always lived in the UK, so medical care has been provided by our government in 1948. Since I wasn’t born until 1973, I have always grown up when health care was free to all.
Yes there is downsides to NHS, just google NHS and/or issues, the problems are numerous:-
- Not having enough nurses or doctors working on wards.
- Junior doctors was really long hours
- Cleaning and food services out-sourced to private companies
- Concerns over infection and how it is controlled
- Long waiting lists for operations
- Long waiting times for Accident and Emergency
- New medication being introduced is normally delay or not introduced at all. Waiting for new drugs can take years after they are available in places like States
Saying all off that I personally couldn’t afford health insurance like it USA has I am a single mum, I dread to think what would much it would cost to go and see the GP or fix their numerous broken bones they all had over the years.
So I get concerned when I read reports that it could return to being private health care again, I am not sure that if it was to go through government and be passed that the general public would not revolt or riot like what happened with the poll tax in 1990. The Tory government didn’t survive much longer after that. I think there could be government takeover if they tried to get rid of the NHS no matter how much we all complain here in the UK.